Cleaning professionals often overlook how important hand washing is before and after a cleaning job. However, even if you’re wearing gloves, it’s extremely important that you take the extra time to make sure that germs and cleaning chemicals are washed off your hands.
Wash hands thoroughly before cleaning
Many cleaning professionals start their shift by attending to the first item on the list, which is typically getting tools and equipment prepped. Without hand-washing, germs can be transferred to high-touch surfaces of cleaning equipment like cleaning carts, brooms, mops, and vacuums. Washing with industrial hand cleaner is especially important for healthcare environments and the food industry where the risk of cross-contamination is present. For sensitive environments, we recommend switching out disposable gloves to further reduce the chances of spreading germs.
Wash hands thoroughly after cleaning
Once cleaning is done, it’s important to wash your hands to ensure that there are no harsh chemicals left behind on your skin. Even if you wear gloves while cleaning, this is still an important step. We recommend washing hands thoroughly after emptying the trash, using chemicals, cleaning up spills, and cleaning the bathroom.
Proper handwashing technique for industrial cleaning:
- Wet hands with warm water
- Use soap and rub hands together to make a lather
- Wash the front and back of hands, between fingers, and under nails
- Rub hands together for at least 20 seconds
- Rinse hands well under warm water and dry thoroughly
If hand care soaps or industrial hand soap is not available, keep alcohol-based hand sanitizers or antibacterial wipes in stock.
Preventing the spread of germs and illness
More than ever, businesses are concerned with proper facility sanitization to reduce the risk of germs and disease. Along with keeping facilities well-stocked with hand care soaps and sanization, be sure to:
- Frequently clean high-touch surfaces like door handles, touch screens, and light switches
- Mix cleaning solutions per the label and read through safety data sheets
- Not dilute properly mixed cleaning chemicals
- Not to mix incompatible chemicals together
- Include hand washing and sanitizing as vital information when training employees
About Apple Cleaning Supplies
Apple Cleaning Supplies continues to provide quality professional cleaning products and commercial cleaning equipment since 1964. When you choose Apple Cleaning Supplies, you work with a team of experts who have over 100 years of collective experience in the cleaning industry. We can recommend custom solutions for your facility and offer advice on how you can optimize the performance of your operations.