Hand sanitizing stations are now commonplace across the globe. It’s an easy and quick alternative to handwashing when soap and water aren’t available or convenient. Although the best way to prevent the spread of infection is to wash your hands, as specified by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), it’s recommended to use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren’t available or convenient.
Although hand sanitizers are safe and effective, it’s always good to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages – especially if it’s a product you use every day. Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of industrial hand sanitizer.
The pros of industrial hand sanitizer
- They have the right amount of alcohol – The CDC specifies that, in order for hand sanitizer to be effective at killing germs, the formula must contain at least 60% alcohol. Industrial-grade hand sanitizers have the right concentration of alcohol, making them more effective at killing germs compared to non-alcohol formulas.
- Convenience and accessibility – Industrial hand sanitizers are more accessible than ever before. They come in handy when you don’t have access to soap and water, and they can be found in most facilities right at the entryway. Businesses are investing in hand sanitizer dispensers for the health and safety of their customers.
- Effectively kills germs – The alcohol in industrial hand sanitizers acts quickly to kill germs and reduce bacteria count on hands. It is a quick and effective way to limit the spread of viruses.
The cons of industrial hand sanitizer
- Can cause dry and cracked skin – Due to the higher alcohol level, industrial-grade hand sanitizer can cause dry, scaly, and itchy skin. For those who have sensitive skin, eczema, or are prone to skin irritation, this can cause some complications. We recommend applying lotion frequently when using industrial hand sanitizer.
- Doesn’t fully protect against a contagious person – If someone in your household or workplace is contagious and you come into direct contact with this person, hand sanitizer does very little to spread germs from contact droplets. While hand sanitizer can kill germs and bacteria on your hands, if someone sneezes or coughs on you, it cannot protect you from getting sick.
- Should not be used in place of industrial hand cleaner – For professionals working in an industrial environment, proper hand cleaner products should be used. Industrial hand cleaners are specially formulated to clean oil, grease, paint, adhesives, soil, carbon, resins, tar, and other tough substances. Hand sanitizer is only meant to disinfect while industrial hand cleaners can help reduce the risk of work-related skin diseases from using abrasive chemicals and products.
About Apple Cleaning Supplies
Apple Cleaning Supplies continues to provide quality professional cleaning products and commercial cleaning equipment since 1964. When you choose Apple Cleaning Supplies, you work with a team of experts who have over 100 years of collective experience in the cleaning industry. We can recommend custom solutions for your facility and offer advice on how you can optimize the performance of your operations.
Our priority is to provide excellent service with expert guidance, offering educational training sessions, and a full facility analysis. We have two physical locations: one in Calgary, Alberta and one in Kelowna, BC and we deliver professional cleaning supplies across Western Canada.